One of the most common pests in Melbourne are rats. They are present all year around and can increase in number during their breeding season. During harsh winters they tend to hide in safer and warm places and again get active during warmer months. A female mouse can get pregnant about 5 to 10 times in a year and can produce 4-12 pups each time. Therefore, it is very important to keep an eye on rat infestation in order to control their number as they can create nuisance in many ways.
- Rats and mice can spread deadly diseases such plague, salmonellosis, leptospirosis, tularemia.
- Ticks’ fleas and mites often reside in rats coat which can lead to several disease
- Rats have sharp teeth and can damage furniture, Upholstery which can lead to loss of property
- They can chew electric wires, gas pipes which can lead to accidents such as fire, shocks, and failure of appliances.
- Rats can leave their dropping in several places which can lead to infections
- Rats produce foul smell and make the entire house musky.
- Rats have sharp teeth and can also result in human bite.
- Rats can contaminate uncovered food and water with their urine, feces, saliva, and hair which can lead to deadly diseases.
Following are few of the signs of rat infestation
- Sighting of droppings
- Trails or rub marks on supports or beams
- Burrow holes
- Gnawing damages seen in furniture and Upholstery
- Squeaking noises
- Foul smell
Following is few of the ways by which rats can be discouraged to foster in your property
- Denying food and water
- Keep your shed and courtyard clean and limit garden waste.
- Block all the potential access points from where rats can get into your property
- Pick ripen fruits from the garden
- Cover all the rubbish bins and compost bins
How to remove rats from your property
There are many ways to remove rats from your property if rats are not in large number. However, if they have reached a stage of infestation then it is wise to get in touch with a pest control agency who are well versed in removing rats from your property in an environmentally friendly solution.
Following are few of the short term DIY remedies to remove rats
- Poison baits
- Rat Traps